SPAGHETTI SAUCE WITH MEATBALLS
- 1 cup chopped onion ( 1 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes (6 large) or 2 (14 1/2 ounce cans tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoon snipped fresh marjoram or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces dried spaghetti
In a dutch oven cook onion, sweet pepper, celery, and garlic in hot oil until vegetables are tender.
Stir in 1/3 cup water, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, dried herbs (if using), sugar, salt and black pepper. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes. Uncover, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more or to desired consistency, stirring occasionaly. Stir in fresh herbs, if using.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine 1 egg, 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs (1 slice), 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, 2 tablespoons finely chopped green sweet pepper, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano crushed and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add 12 ounces ground beef , mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs. Arrange meatballs in a 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 F oven for 15-20 minutes or until done. Drain. Serve with sauce and hot pasta
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Serve sauce over hot cooked pasta.